[Felvtalk] Question for those with multiple FeLV+ cats (2 or more)

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Tue Dec 30 01:41:52 CST 2014

Harley & Brock have the run of an 850 sq. ft. garage/workshop that is
attached to the house, but it is not insulated, therefore not heated,
plus due to its size, heating would be difficult.   I don't use it as a
garage or workshop due to getting FeLV+ Milkdud 5 years ago.  Some
construction materials are stored there, otherwise I just keep adding
things for the cats.  There is a picnic table, a ladder and shelves to
climb on, a Dogloo and a wooden dog house with heated pads and fluffy
blankets, a couple of donut beds, rugs, toys, a deluxe cot with a
comforter and a children's sleeping bag (Harley's favorite), and a
lounge chair with a big sleeping bag. But I worried about Harley dealing
with the cold when he came home to recover, so I set up  an ice fishing
shelter in the middle of the garage and put an infrared heater in it
(cube kind that can't tip).  I moved the cot & lounge chair in it, got a
battery operated light/fan to hang from the ceiling, and put one
litterbox in it so they can potty in comfort, and their water and kibble
is in there too.  Plus lots of toys.  They love it, and I have been
having fun "camping out" in there with them.  I am looking for a
portable TV to put in there too!   I bought a bunch of new toys for
them, and tonight I found that one of them (probably Harley) had brought
an old toy inside the tent that had been left in a donut bed.  I zipper
the door shut, but leave just enough unzipped so they can go in and out
as they please.

In the main house, there are 12 cats that are FeLV negative. There is
mostly an open floor plan, leaving no place in the house to keep the
FeLV+ boys.  The bedroom is reserved for 2 girls that don't always get
along with others (one is very timid, the other will bully smaller girls
except for her roommate).  The bedroom door stays unlatched so the girls
can come and go.  I only latch it if Peaches goes into bully mode while
out and about.  Then I put her back in the room for a while and latch
the door.  One other cat has her own "fort" in the great room with a
door in it that is too small for her nemesis to get through.  The fort
has 2 levels, 2 beds & a crate with a towel, food & water, 1 litterbox.
Anaya has figured out when her nemesis Tressa sleeps, and comes out of
her fort to explore then.

None of the cats are allowed outside due to coyotes and other wildlife,
plus it would be so expensive to put Frontline Plus on all of them.  I
used to allow Binky to go outside under supervision, but since Gabby
died last year, Binky hasn't had much interest in going outside.

Marsha