[Felvtalk] Harley is in the hospital

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Tue Dec 16 19:18:18 CST 2014

Deb, the crazy thing is that symptoms can be variable.  I have been
wracking my brain and talking to the vet, and one thing that looks like
a possibility now is that Brock, the FeLV+ cat I adopted 2.5 months ago,
may be a carrier of whatever URI virus it is.  This all seemed to start
(but could be coincidence) when our weather got weird here.  Big
temperature inversion, poor air quality, temps 20 degrees above normal,
fog/mist/drizzle for a week.  Brock was a little sneezy, but no other
symptoms.  Harley has *never* been sick before, in the 4+ years he's
been with me.  I am thinking maybe the odd weather threw them for a
loop, and the virus flared up in Brock, and Harley got it from him.  But
Brock, being younger, and not as far along in immune suppression, had
such mild symptoms that I didn't think it was a URI, just maybe some
dust made him sneeze.  But that's all just a theory.  In any case, I
think I better get those lysine chews or the capsules, since they
wouldn't eat the gel. Don't know for sure if this is herpes virus, but
could be, especially since I just read that can cause pharyngitis.  And
I believe that's what the lysine is supposed to help the most, is FHV.

Marsha