[Felvtalk] Harleys

Marsha martia at lynxe.com
Sat Apr 26 19:37:05 CDT 2014

Awww, Kat.  I am new to this list also, and I also have a FeLV+ boy
named Harley!  He probably close to 4 years old (I got him as a kitten
in the Fall of 2010).  He is also black, with a little white spot on his
chest, and his belly.

His buddy Milkdud is in the hospital now, after being symptom-free for 4
and a half years.  I felt a lump early this week, then before his vet
appointment he seemed to be getting tired and not interested in food,
though he played a little with a catnip toy.  At the vet's office we saw
he was jaundiced, and I transferred him to the emergency clinic.  An
ultrasound revealed more than one mass (including in the spleen), and
several enlarged lymph nodes.  Plus his kidneys and liver don't look too
great either (on the ultrasound).  Lymphoma highly likely.  I declined
the needle aspiration for confirmation.  Milkdud is greatly annoyed with
his cramped accommodations at the hospital.  They have also been swamped
this weekend, so he can't get a bigger cage, and this afternoon we
couldn't have a room to visit together so he can move around.  He has
more energy than some of the other cats I see there.  I don't think
Milkdud is long for this world...a week or two?  I will probably take
him home Monday to enjoy as much cuddle time as possible before the time
comes.  Is it too late for LTCI?  Does that help with lymphoma?  My
local vet and one I asked at the emergency clinic didn't seem to
familiar, except one told me it is still experimental.

Harley is feeling very anxious about Milkdud being gone, so I am trying
to give him some extra attention.

Marsha